Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Day 24: Jambalaya

   On day 24 y'all, we had Jambalaya. Cauliflower was supposed to be added in place of rice, but I'm not a huge cooked cauliflower lover, so I skipped it. If you do the same, I suggest leaving out the water and part of the chicken stock or your Jambalaya will be soup.


Ingredients

  • 1/2 lb spicy sausage, sliced (I used smoked sausage)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil + 1 tsp, divided
  • 1 cup onion
  • 3/4 cup green pepper
  • 1/2 cup chopped celery
  • 1 tsp. Cajun seasoning + 1/8 tsp, divided
  • 1 whole bay leaf
  • 2 small cans El Pato tomato sauce
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  • 1 1/2 cups finely chopped cauliflower
  • 1/2 lb shrimp

 

Directions

1. In a large skillet heat the oil, sausage, onion, pepper, and celery - saute for 5 minutes.
2. Add seasoning and 1 bay leaf  - cook 1 minute more.
3. Add tomato sauce, chicken broth, water, and cauliflower.
4. Bring to a boil, then cover, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 20 minutes - remove bay leaf.
5. In another skillet saute 1/2 lb shrimp and 1/8 tsp Cajun seasoning  in 1 tsp olive oil.
6. Saute for 2 minutes, then stir into jambalaya.

I loved, loved, loved this. I'm all about spicy and this was perfect. I really enjoyed the mixture of meat and veggies as well. Definitely a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment