Saturday, January 15, 2011

Day 6: Brilliant Breakfast, Luxurious Lunch and Deja Vous Dinner

 Day 6 consisted of a hearty breakfast. For our main dish, we feasted on a western omelet full of sausage, green peppers, onions, tomatoes and spinach. As an added side, we enjoyed sweet potato hash. If you have never had fried sweet potatoes, try it. You will never fry white potatoes again.

 

Ingredients

  • 2 tsp Olive Oil
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion
  • 1 medium sweet potato, diced into small cubes

 

Directions

1. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onions, saute for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add diced sweet potato and add 1 tbsp water.
4. Cover and cook for 15 min or until the potatoes are soft.
5. Toss often to prevent burning.
6. Sprinkle with ground black pepper (I didn't do this. Instead I used a little sea salt.).

  Today we also challenged ourselves by eating lunch at Ruby Tuesday. Luckily, finding something Paleo-friendly on their menu was pretty easy. I dined on a petite sirloin with grilled green beans, zucchini and a salad. My husband had the same but steamed broccoli instead of green beans.
  Everything tasted great and I left filled to the gills. I have to say, I was slightly tempted by the cheddar biscuits the waitress so kindly brought to our table, but I didn't cave. I actual felt a sense of pride being able to say no.
  Dinner tonight was leftovers. Pork loin and spaghetti. I'm already looking forward to tomorrow's breakfast, Sausage Stir-Fry.
 I must add one thing as we are nearing the end of week one. I was initially worried about my 3 year old's reaction to our change in eating habits. Even though he is used to eating well balanced meals, I wasn't sure how he would react to unfamiliar foods.
  To my surprise, he has eaten most every bite of every meal we have prepared (minus a veggie here or there). Each meal I held my breath, waiting for his reaction and each time I let out a sigh of relief. He devoured the baked fish, chicken and beef with ease, ate almost a whole plate of spaghetti squash and didn't say a word about the peppers, onions or spinach mixed with his eggs.
  I've always had a bit of a struggle getting him to eat a large variety of vegetables, so I feel this is progress. Hopefully soon he will be eating broccoli like it's his favorite dessert.
 Okay, so maybe that's a little far fetched, but nothing's wrong with some positive thinking, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment